[Paraview] Re: [Fwd: paraview with 200 parts]

jfavre@cscs.ch jfavre@cscs.ch
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:24:41 +0100

Quoting Charles Law <charles.law@kitware.com>:

> I have not decided on an interface for creating new groups, or for
> splitting groups.  For extracting parts of a group, I envision a long
> list
> of check boxes with additional options to select/de select all parts at
> once or parts of a certain type (i.e. vtkPolyData).

Charles, thanks for your input.

In EnSight, selection of a subset of many parts can be done with the usual
combinations of mouse clicks (select with Left Mouse Button (LMB), followed by
Ctrl-LMB, or Shift-LMB). My first reaction to check boxes is that it would be
very cumbersome for long lists of parts. In CFD, the models I use daily are
between 200 and 1000 parts. I know others use up to 5000 parts...

Additionally, selection can be done by names, using the standard wildcard ? and
*. This is particularly useful when the names of the parts encode some property
of the part, as for example a Flow Boundary Condition. One can then select at
once all the parts representing a special flow or geometric property.

Just a few ideas. I am ready to test some preliminary implementations and give
you more feedback.

Thanks.
Jean