[Paraview] FIELD vs. SCALARS & VECTORS

Charles Law charles . law at kitware . com
Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:47:41 -0400

At 11:52 PM 8/4/2003 +0000, Robert Ferrell wrote:
>What is the difference between specifying data as a FIELD with 1 component
>and specifying the data with a SCALARS attribute?  It seems that SCALARS
>is redundant, so I must be missing the point.

Scalars are also stored in the field data, but scalars are marked as
special and many filters look for this special/default array.  If you
specify attribute data as a field, then you will have to do addition stuff
to get filters to process this array (or color an actor by this array).

>I am not able to input a 2D mesh.  Should that work?  I can specify
>a flat 3D mesh, with all z coords == 0.0.  Is that what I should
>expect?

VTK only has 3 component points, so for 2D meshes you would have to set one
component (z) to 0.0.

Charles.