[Paraview-developers] Groups of blocks

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Wed May 23 20:28:02 EDT 2018

Alan,

Wouldn't that be supported by the XML/hierarchy file (or whatever it's
called) mechanism in Exodus?
Load the attached exii file, then on  the reader's properties panel, set
the XML file name to be the attached artifact.dta file. On Apply, the
"Assemblies" tab, next to the "Blocks" tab should show an hierarchy of
blocks. Is that what your user is looking for? Currently, this information
is not used besides this panel. Our ultimate goal is communicate this
information throughout the app, so that panels like Multiblock Inspector,
or Extract Block etc will also show the blocks organized as shown in the
"Assemblies" panel.

Utkarsh

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:47 PM Scott, W Alan via Paraview-developers <
paraview-developers at public.kitware.com> wrote:

> I had a user come into my office yesterday.  He has been asking the
different code teams if we could modify the Exodus spec, and the tools, to
allow holding parts within parts, or groups within groups, or sub-blocks
within blocks.  My poor choice of words.  Here is an example.

> He would like to have a dataset called “car”.  Within the car is a block
or group called an Engine.  We could only load the block engine.  Under
this would be sub-blocks called pistons, head, connecting rod, etc.  Now,
you could turn on and off these subparts.

> The questions are first, is this valuable and worth the effort?  Second,
if we had a spec from Greg Sjaardema, how much effort would this be?

http://markmail.org/search/?q=Paraview-developers