[Paraview-developers] Groups of blocks

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Wed May 23 17:47:35 EDT 2018

I had a user come into my office yesterday.  He has been asking the different code teams if we could modify the Exodus spec, and the tools, to allow holding parts within parts, or groups within groups, or sub-blocks within blocks.  My poor choice of words.  Here is an example.

He would like to have a dataset called "car".  Within the car is a block or group called an Engine.  We could only load the block engine.  Under this would be sub-blocks called pistons, head, connecting rod, etc.  Now, you could turn on and off these subparts.

The questions are first, is this valuable and worth the effort?  Second, if we had a spec from Greg Sjaardema, how much effort would this be?

Thanks,

Alan

W. Alan Scott
ParaView Support Manager

SAIC
Sandia National Laboratories, MS 0807
Org 9326 - Building 880 A1-K
(505) 284-0932   FAX (505) 284-5619

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
John Maynard Keynes