[Paraview-developers] ParaView 5.4.1 OpenGL error

Thomas Krug dammal.tk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 04:50:52 EST 2017

Hello everybody,

after building ParaView 5.4.1 on my Windows 10 64bit virtual machine, i get
the following warning/error after opening ParaView:

Warning:

Your OpenGL drivers don't support required OpenGL features for basic
rendering. Application cannot continue. Please exit and use an older
version.

CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

OpenGL Vendor: Information Unavailable
OpenGL Version: Information Unavailable
OpenGL Renderer: Information Unavailable

And I get this error output messages 4 times:

failed to get wglChoosePixelFormatARB
failed to get valid pixel format.
GLEW could not be initialized.

I already tried to build ParaView with the PARAVIEW_RENDERING_BACKEND
variable set to "OpenGl" instead of "OpenGL2" in cmake. But I get this
during the build process:

CMake Error at VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/CMakeLists.txt:2 (message):
  vtkRenderingOpenGL2 cannot be built with vtkRenderingOpenGL, please
disable
  one of them.

See also "C:/ParaView/build/superbuild/paraview/build/CMakeFiles/
CMakeOutput.log".
See also "C:/ParaView/build/superbuild/paraview/build/CMakeFiles/
CMakeError.log".
CMake Error at C:/ParaView/build/superbuild/sb-paraview-configure.cmake:43
(message):
  Failed with exit code 1

Does someone know how to resolve this problem? Or might this error arise
from using a virtual machine?

Best regards
Thomas