[Paraview-developers] Interacting with our data and an HTC Vive

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri May 19 15:43:54 EDT 2017

Both of those options sound fairly challenging unless you have worked with
VTK a lot. I do believe there have been some experiments integrating
ParaView to Unity or Unreal. There is some effort going on right now to
improve widgets and interaction in OpenVR/VTK/PV as well but I wouldn't
subject someone to that unless they had a lot of VTK dev experience as it
can get into the guts of VTK fairly quickly.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 7:45 AM, David Tuckey <
david.tuckey at eleves.ec-nantes.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on scientific visualisation in virtual reality
> and am looking for ways to enhance the Paraview capabilities in this
> domain. I am using for my current tests a HTC Vive, but I am considering
> using a zSpace or a workbench in further works. The first goal is to be
> able to grab a plane and move it around in the virtual world to do live
> clipping of the objects, or move around a point to display live the
> streamlines at its location.
>
> A problem I am facing is that when objects in the scene are at the same
> location, I am never sure which one I will grab. Also while doing tests
> on VTK with OpenVR enabled, I could move around the representation of a
> basic vtkPlaneWidget without any effect on the position of it's bouding
> points or normal vector.
>
> I have two solutions in mind.
>
> 1) The first solution is to modify ParaView's (and so VTK's) OpenVR
> scripts to allow better interaction and live pipeline modification. I am
> new to VTK/ParaView source code, but I guess that would mean modifying
> the vtkOpenVRRenderWindowInteractor, the vtkRenderWindowInteractor3D and
> a few other interaction classes. Developping ParaView's built in OpenVR
> solution may reveal itself difficult for specific interaction tasks. Do
> you have any idea of where I should start from ?
>
> 2)  The second solution would be to transfer the geometries after each
> modification to another software (such as a Unity pre-built scene), do
> the interaction in this software, and send back to ParaView the
> modification instructions. I thought I could archive this by using
> sockets in a Python script. Developping a new application on Unity
> allows easier interaction and the use on different hardware, but adds a
> new communication steps that could slow down the process.  Do you have
> any advice about that ?
>
> I am not sure which one of the two solutions is the best.
>
> Thank you for any help.
>

> David Tuckey
> Student at Ecole Centrale de Nantes

> Paraview-developers

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.