[Paraview-developers] Interacting with our data and an HTC Vive

David Tuckey david.tuckey at eleves.ec-nantes.fr
Thu May 11 07:45:14 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am currently working on scientific visualisation in virtual reality
and am looking for ways to enhance the Paraview capabilities in this
domain. I am using for my current tests a HTC Vive, but I am considering
using a zSpace or a workbench in further works. The first goal is to be
able to grab a plane and move it around in the virtual world to do live
clipping of the objects, or move around a point to display live the
streamlines at its location.

A problem I am facing is that when objects in the scene are at the same
location, I am never sure which one I will grab. Also while doing tests
on VTK with OpenVR enabled, I could move around the representation of a
basic vtkPlaneWidget without any effect on the position of it's bouding
points or normal vector.

I have two solutions in mind.

1) The first solution is to modify ParaView's (and so VTK's) OpenVR
scripts to allow better interaction and live pipeline modification. I am
new to VTK/ParaView source code, but I guess that would mean modifying
the vtkOpenVRRenderWindowInteractor, the vtkRenderWindowInteractor3D and
a few other interaction classes. Developping ParaView's built in OpenVR
solution may reveal itself difficult for specific interaction tasks. Do
you have any idea of where I should start from ?

2) The second solution would be to transfer the geometries after each
modification to another software (such as a Unity pre-built scene), do
the interaction in this software, and send back to ParaView the
modification instructions. I thought I could archive this by using
sockets in a Python script. Developping a new application on Unity
allows easier interaction and the use on different hardware, but adds a
new communication steps that could slow down the process. Do you have
any advice about that ?

I am not sure which one of the two solutions is the best.

Thank you for any help.

David Tuckey
Student at Ecole Centrale de Nantes