[Paraview-developers] build environment for official binaries

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Jan 23 09:12:40 EST 2017

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 17:06:03 +0100, Florian Toth wrote:
> Yes, we are using the superbuild where we include our plugin as an
> External plugin. This works fine, however the generated packages (via
> `ctest -R cpack`) are not transferable to different Linux distributions
> (e.g. build on Ubuntu16.04 does not work on Centos7.2 due to different
> versions of system C++ libraries).
> Additionally, the generated shared libraries of our plugin cannot be
> combined with the official binaries by copying them over to the
> appropriate library directory (results in segfault when loading the plugin).
>
> This used to work on ParaView 5.1.x when the plugin was built on Debian
> 6 using the build options given on
> http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Binaries#Linux-x64. As it does not
> work with 5.2 any more, I assumed the build environment changed.
> Unfortunately, I cannot find any information about the build environment
> for 5.2. Is there any information available?

We needed to upgrade to CentOS 6 in order to support the OpenGL2 backend
(and Qt5 compilation). We are using the devtoolset-3 SCL (see this
list[1]). We tried to use a more modern Debian (7 IIRC), but that put us
ahead of what CentOS 6 could run out-of-the-box, so we used CentOS 6
instead.

I'll look at updating that page.

--Ben

[1]https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo/CollectionsList