[Paraview-developers] Question about custom paraview data server/source

Giovanni Funchal gafunchal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:10:55 EST 2017

Hi,

I would like to implement something that sends data (triangle mesh with
normals and colors) in "real time" from a C++ application to a Paraview
client running on the same machine, to help debugging. By "real time" I
mean that I am only interested in the latest data, not in the history of it.

Currently, I can repeatedly save vtk files in my application, and hit F5 in
Paraview to reload the file and get pretty much the effect that I want. I
am looking for a way to automate.

I have read some of the documentation about custom servers and started
writing something based on pvserver sources, but I am not sure I'm going on
the right direction. In particular, I don't want to do any custom
rendering, but I am not entirely sure that writing only a data server (ie
using the builtin renderer) is possible.

I have a feeling that this should not be difficult to implement, do you
know of any better approaches?

Thank you,
-- Giovanni