[Paraview-developers] Build standalone plugins that can be added on paraview on different linux machine and windows if possible.

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Feb 7 09:30:47 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 13:50:36 -0800, sumeet kumar wrote:
> I am a grad student of University of California Davis. I have been on
> developing code large scale Soil Structure  Simulator Real-ESSI
> <https://github.com/BorisJeremic/Real-ESSI> . I have developed plugin for
> that which works perfectly on Ubuntu platforms.
>
> Is there any way I can distribute my plugin library so that users don't
> need to compile from source code.
>
> Also, I want to make my plugin available to windows users as well. What is
> the most easiest way to achieve that ??

You can add it to the superbuild to build the plugin such that it works
for the platforms we build 5.2.0 for using the documentation here:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview-superbuild/#external-plugins

The plugin can be grabbed from the `install/` directory inside of the
superbuild. Currently we don't distribute SDKs, so this is the most
reliable way to build plugins.

For Linux, we use a CentOS6 base image for the release binaries. Windows
is built using VS 2013 Community edition. macOS releases are built with
10.8 as their minimum version.

However, if you're distributing to a known set of people, building and
distributing your own packages is probably easiest (see the `Packaging`
section in the readme).

I'll look at getting more docs for distributing custom plugins written
up.

--Ben