[Paraview-developers] ParaView for Oculus and OpenVR/Vive

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Sep 6 15:38:07 EDT 2016

For those who have an Oculus or Vive...

I have been working on creating a simple/limited mechanism for viewing data
from ParaView with the Oculus and/or Vive. I am planning to put out a blog
post, but before I do so I wanted to have someone test the executable to
see if it works for more than just me :-)  If you fit the bill and could
give it a test run that would be great. I have placed a windows 64 bit
binary of PV that was built with Oculus and Vive support here as a zip file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqmotfgwyv7fjc0/PVVR.zip?dl=0

To test it you should be able to unzip it somewhere on a windows system
that has a Vive/Oculus installed and working.

Start up Oculus Home or Steam VR.

If using Oculus Home there is an option in the settings menu (gear shaped
thing) you must turn on to allow the Oculus to run third party apps.

Run this paraview

Create a cone

In the view make sure you have turned on advanced properties by clicking
the gear

[image: Inline image 1]
Then you should be able to hit "send to OpenVR" for example to see your
data in the Vive.

[image: Inline image 2]
When done you hit the button above the touchpad on the Vive (or the space
bar on Oculus) to return to ParaView. When in VR do not interact with the
PV GUI. For the Vive the basic interactions are

// A click and hold in 3D within the bounding box of a prop
// will pick up that prop allowing you to translate and
// orient that prop as desired with the 3D controller.
//
// Click/dragging two controllers and pulling them apart or
// pushing them together will initial a scale gesture
// that will scale the world larger or smaller.
//
// Click/dragging two controllers and translating them in the same
// direction will translate the camera/world
// pushing them together will initial a scale gesture
// that will scale the world larger or smaller.
//
// If a controller is right clicked (push touchpad on Vive)
// then it starts a fly motion where the camer moves in the
// direction the controller is pointing. It moves at a speed
// scaled by the position of your thumb on the trackpad.
// Higher moves faster forward. Lower moves faster backwards.
//
// For the Vive left click is mapped to the trigger and right
// click is mapped to pushing the trackpad down.

Thanks
Ken

--
Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.