[Paraview-developers] ParaView superbuild Installation - Linux issue with "freetype

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 09:36:27 EST 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 16:16:33 +0530, Chiranjib Sur wrote:
> One other thing I have observed. After the "make" is executed successfully
> for the superbuild, the directory structure is not the same that is being
> produced earlier. Is there a change in structure now?

Yes, the superbuild now uses a common infrastructure for superbuilds so
that we may share it between multiple projects. The new structure is:

    builddir/           The superbuild's build directory.
        cpack/          Generated packaging projects (use via `ctest -R cpack-...`).
        downloads/      Default download directory.
        install/        Default staging install directory.
        superbuild/     Location used by the common infra for building
            $project/   Project directory.
                src/    Source tree for the project.
                build/  Build tree for the project.
            sb-$project-….cmake     Scripts used for the steps of $project.

The infrastructure assumes it has full control of the superbuild/
directory, so anything done in there manually is prone to being wiped
away by the build system (e.g., custom git commits may be dropped if the
superbuild needs to reinitialize the source directory). If you need to
use a custom source tree for a project, it is best to point the
superbuild at an external source tree (which it will never try to update
to any specific hash). This is supported for ParaView out of the box. In
master:

    -Dparaview_SOURCE_SELECTION=source

and with slightly older versions:

    -Dparaview_FROM_GIT=OFF
    -Dparaview_FROM_SOURCE_DIR=ON

other projects require modifications to the versions.cmake file
directly.

--Ben