[Paraview-developers] Filter/pipeline design question - any helpful hints?

Cornelis Bockemühl cornelis.bockemuehl at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 16:41:11 EST 2016

Thanks a lot for that quick and precise answer - and this even in the
middle of the Sunday!

Looks like indeed the "multiblock inspector" is doing what I need, so
"option 2" comes obviously closest to what I want, so I will certainly go
for that solution.

Is there a way to include some "color hint" already in the data file, like
"preferred color for part 2 would be red" etc.?

My guess is that it is not - because it contradicts a bit the "paraview
philosophy" that is to my understanding: define geometry and data in the
data files, then define the details of the view interactively.

Regards, Cornelis

> Cornelis,
>
> Option 2 is probably the easiest. As for each of the disadvantages for
> that option you mention, here's some more info:
>
> > However,
> > now I have a problem with the independent coloring of the two parts: So
> far
> > I did not find a way to say that part 1 should be colored according to
> > attribute X and part 2 should be colored in black, white or whatever
> else I
> > would define.
>
> Multiple options for this:
> 1. For part 2, remove all attribute arrays. Now when you choose to
> color by attribute X, since X is missing on part 2, ParaView will
> simply color by the solid color set before choosing the attribute to
> color with.
> 2. Use the "Multiblock Inspector" [a] to manually set the solid color
> to use for specific part/block. When such a color is specified, the
> attribute chosen is ignored. This does need to be set after each
> filter application, however.
>
> > Another disadvantage of the second option is the fact that it generates a
> > much more complex geometrical setup.
>
> Can you elaborate what you mean by that?
>
> Utkarsh
>
> [a]: https://blog.kitware.com/color-multiblock-datasets/
>

> > 3. As a 3-rd option I could imagine that there are possibilities that I
> did
> > not understand yet that would make my job much easier than I thought?
> >
> > 4. Derive a new cut filter that takes two input ports and works on both
> > simultaneously...(??)
> >
> > It is to say that I am an experienced programmer (which is why I am so
> > quickly "starting" with paraview filters), but I am still rather new to
> > paraview, reading a lot in the docs, trying around...
> >
> > Thanks for any helpful hints, considerations or tipps!
> > Cornelis
> >

> > --
> archive at Nabble.com.
> Paraview-developers