[Paraview-developers] Filter with multiple time-aware outputs

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon May 30 08:38:00 EDT 2016

Ellon,

One thing to note is that ParaView/VTK pipelines don't support
pipeline loops. Based on what you explained, the "loop" is within a
data filter, namely "ICP Core". So rather than thinking of it as a
loop, think of it as a data producer that keeps on generating new
data/timesteps. Okay, so let's say we'll remodel ICPCore so that it
has a method which someone can call to make the filter "discover" new
timesteps, e.g. ICPCore::DiscoverTimesteps(). In this method, if new
timesteps are discovered, make sure to call this->Modified() on the
filter.

Now the next step would be to periodically call this method on the
filter to make it register new timesteps and tell that to ParaView UI.
For starters, just add a <Property name="DiscoverTimesteps"
command="DiscoverTimesteps" /> property to the XML for ICPCore. That
will show up as a button (using pqCommandPropertyWidget) in the
Properties panel. Check pqCommandPropertyWidget::buttonClicked(),
where it calls UpdatePipelineInformation() on the filter proxy, which
in will call DiscoverTimesteps() and the RequestInformation() on the
filter where it can announce the new timesteps (along with the old
ones).

Once this is working, you can automate this by using a timer-based
loop to periodically trigger the DiscoverTimeSteps property if you
want.

Hope that helps,
Utkarsh