[Paraview-developers] Filter with multiple time-aware outputs

Ellon Paiva ellonpaiva at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:46:10 EDT 2016

On 05/26/2016 09:18 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>> While developing a filter for a plugin I found the following situation: I
>> need to implement a filter that has two inputs that are not time aware and 3
>> time aware outputs. Moreover, the number of time steps of the outputs is
>> unknown until the execution of filter's RequestData(), so the output ports
>> should be configured from inside this method. Is it possible to implement
>> this kind of filter connections in ParaView?
> Alas, no. This is beyond what is supported by ParaView. ParaView needs
> to be aware of timesteps before RequestData(), in RequestInformation()
> more specifically.

Oh, I was afraid of that. :( This means I should change the strategy to
implement my plugin.

Is it possible to trigger a file reader from a filter input? If it's
possible I think I can achieve this using two filters in sequence in the
pipeline: the first dump data on files, and the second would read the
data from the disk when it receives a new data on its input port. This
way the second filter would know already the number of time steps in its
RequestInformation() to configure the output ports before reading the
files.