[Paraview-developers] paraview 5.2 runtime error with 'fontconfig"

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Dec 5 10:50:47 EST 2016

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 13:26:22 +0530, Chiranjib Sur wrote:
> With my ParaView5.2 build (via superbuild), I get a run time error followed
> by a seg fault.
> Any clue what went missing during my build procedure?
>
> Here are the runtime log and the CMakeCache.txt files attached.
>
> My system configuration is : RHEL6, c++11 GNU compiler, python 2.7+, CMake
> 3.7, Qt4.8

> Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected

So I recently updated the superbuild to use a newer fontconfig for the
following reasons:

  - to use the system font configuration settings (from /etc) rather
    than starting up with nothing (and looking ugly);
  - the old fontconfig warned about new configuration files;
  - updated to use a new fontconfig.

Now it seems the new fontconfig doesn't like the old configuration files
:( . In any case, these have only ever been just warnings and may be
ignored.

Can you get a backtrace from the segfault? I see nothing that indicates
that the segfault is from fontconfig. I suppose we could add an option
to use a system fontconfig rather than building our own.

--Ben