[Paraview-developers] Sending only the user/client requested field data to Paraview

sumeet kumar sumeet.kumar507 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:44:16 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I have a unstructured mesh with many fields like Displacements, velocity,
Stresses, Strains, Material no.. etc either on nodes or on cell. Currently,
I associate all the field data arrays with my unstructured mesh and send it
to ParaView for visualization and it works great..

But, now, since I have many field data and the mesh can be also very large.
Sending all data at once would be very *slow and in-efficient.*

What I want is the following:

   - I want that based on user request I should send attach that field data
   only. For example in the ParaView, if the User selects Displacements to
   Visualize, I should some how know that and only send displacements and
   similarly.
   - Also, I want that the user should be able to see all the different
   field data options I have, so that he can select and ask for as it is done
   normally .
   - I also, want that if the user selects a filter like, *wrap by vector *with
   displacements and chooses to see stress, ParaView should generate requests
   for *displacements and stresses so that I can send them.*

Currently I am doing this from my reader.

    Node_Mesh->GetPointData()->AddArray(Generalized_Displacements);
    Node_Mesh->GetPointData()->AddArray(Node_Tag);
    Node_Mesh->GetCellData()->AddArray(Element_Tag);
    Node_Mesh->GetCellData()->AddArray(Material_Tag);
    Node_Mesh->GetPointData()->AddArray(Elastic_Strain);
    Node_Mesh->GetPointData()->AddArray(Plastic_Strain);
    Node_Mesh->GetPointData()->AddArray(Stress);
Which means I am sending all field data
*Generalized_Displacemnts , Node_Tag, Element_Tag, Material_tag,
Elastic_Strain ........ *
Now suppose, in Paraview, user selects field_data  *Generalized
Displacements *.to visualize.

[image: Inline image 2]

Currently, I am sending all the field data associated with that mesh as
stated above. In order to be efficient, I want to send only
*Generalized_Displacements* in the next time step.
But at the same time, I want that the user should be able to see all the
field datasets, so that if he changes his mind and select other field
dataset to visualize, I would get a request and send the same data.

In other words, I want to respond to the events when (the choice of field
data to visualize is changed), so that i can send that field data only.
But, The user should be able to view other field data options available, so
that they can change the request what they want to visualize a particular
field data .
Basically, I want to respond to this event as shown above.

--

Sumeet Kumar Sinha
Graduate Student