[Paraview-developers] Using vtkPUnstructuredGridGhostCellsGenerator

Schlottke-Lakemper, Michael m.schlottke-lakemper at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Apr 12 03:42:24 EDT 2016

Hi Joachim,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I looked at the test you mentioned and found the location where the GlobalNodeIds are generated (https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Filters/ParallelGeometry/Testing/Cxx/TestPUnstructuredGridGhostCellsGenerator.cxx#L64-80), which cleared things up a little. A few questions remain:

- Am I correct in assuming that vtkIdType (used for the GlobalNodeIds array) is a long int on 64-bit systems?
- Do the GlobalNodeIds have to be consecutive or is it sufficient for them to be unique?

We would be interested to know the result of this benchmark if you had to opportunity to run it on a big cluster.
I will see if I can make this happen. Is there an easy way for me to execute this test manually while being connected to a pvserver instance running in parallel?

- Is it possible/feasible/sensible to call this filter directly from within our custom reader plugin, such that users do not need to apply the filter manually each time?

Yes sure. I would recommand to do that - call the filter at the end of your reader and let your reader produce the output of the filter.
Sorry for asking, but you wouldn’t know from the top of your head an example of reader that does that already (or uses another filter internally to postprocess its ouput), would you? I have done some ParaView hacking but most of my knowledge is “look, that’s how someone else did it”-based and I haven’t found a suitable example that I can use :-/

Thanks a lot in advance!

Michael