[Paraview-developers] Using vtkPUnstructuredGridGhostCellsGenerator

Schlottke-Lakemper, Michael m.schlottke-lakemper at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Apr 11 05:20:21 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

I have a few questions about the new ghost cell generator filter (vtkPUnstructuredGridGhostCellsGenerator) that I already asked in a different context. Since I haven’t really resolved any of the issues yet, I took the liberty to post the questions here again:

- The docs indicate that the filter might perform faster if global point ids are available. Does anyone have an estimate about how much faster we are talking here?
- How can I make global point ids available that are suitable for this filter?
- Is it possible/feasible/sensible to call this filter directly from within our custom reader plugin, such that users do not need to apply the filter manually each time?

Performance is critical in our case. We use a custom reader plugin to build our unstructured VTK grids using voxels. However, when using ~600 cores to visualize a 1 billion-cell grid, the “Generate Ghost Cells” plugin ran for >15 minutes without results, after which we aborted since it is just not feasible anymore. Therefore I am very much interested in the expected performance impact of using global point ids.

Thanks a lot in advance

Michael

--
Michael Schlottke-Lakemper

Chair of Fluid Mechanics and Institute of Aerodynamics
RWTH Aachen University
Wüllnerstraße 5a
52062 Aachen
Germany