[Paraview-developers] determine points on the surface of a polydata

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Apr 6 11:10:28 EDT 2016

Chiranjib,

You can use either the Probe Location or the Resample With Dataset filter to find out if one or more points are in the space of a data set (including a surface). Both these filters use the same VTK filter under the covers. They just define the probing points differently. That will tell you if a point is on the surface (but not inside or outside).

These filters have an output array named vtkValidPointMask that is set to 1 for points in the cells and 0 for points outside the cells.

Be aware though that you might run into problems with determining whether a point is exactly in a polygon. I’m not sure how the tolerance works in these filters.

-Ken