[Paraview-developers] How to activate (selectively if possible ?) debug traces when using ParaView ?

houssen houssen at ipgp.fr
Tue Apr 5 11:06:02 EDT 2016

How to activate (selectively if possible ?) debug traces when using
ParaView ?

I am in the process of creating new couples of HDF5 / XDMF files : for
now, it is bugged, so the XDMF reader crashes when I open it in
ParaView. I need to "see" why ParaView crashes : that is, I need to
understand "where and/or why" my HDF5 / XDMF are bugged (and trigger
later on a crash in ParaView). Ideally, I would need to activate only
debug traces for xdmf reader.

First, I tried to find (Google search) if a variabe like PARAVIEW_DEBUG
could be set before running ParaView but it seems no such variable
exists (this->DebugOn() only helps if you have a problem in one of your
own filter - this is not the case here). Then, I looked in the GUI
(menu, options, settings) but I didn't find any way to turn on traces. I
also tried to get info from gdb but I get a low level of informations
(stack and some relevant infos but no messages on problems before
crashing) as my ParaView is built from source in RelWithDebInfo mode
(I'd like to avoid to recompile in debug : it would take hours...). I
looked around
ParaView-v5.0.0-source/VTK/ThirdParty/xdmf2/vtkxdmf2/libsrc/XdmfObject.h
and
ParaView-v5.0.0-source/VTK/ThirdParty/xdmf2/vtkxdmf2/libsrc/XdmfObject.cxx
(XdmfObject::GetGlobalDebug) but it doesn't help really at first glance
: GetGlobalDebug is not implemented like I would have imagined (thats is
in a getenv("PARAVIEW_DEBUG")-like way).

More generally, is it possible to activate debug / warning / info
traces according to "what I would like to do" ? (for instance,
activating only shrink filter traces but not xdmf reader traces, or the
opposite ?) This would help understanding / locating problems when they
occur. It would be a convenient feature.

FH