[Paraview-developers] building paraview with examples - getting LNK2019 & LNK2001 errors - vtkRenderingFreeType

Hillier, Michael (NRCan/RNCan) michael.hillier at canada.ca
Fri Oct 16 12:40:29 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am having trouble building paraview from source whenever I toggle 'BUILD_EXAMPLES' in cmake. I use Visual Studio to compile the source code. Here are examples of the compiler errors :

Error      14389    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl vtkRenderingFreeType_AutoInit_Construct(void)" (?vtkRenderingFreeType_AutoInit_Construct@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "public: __cdecl vtkRenderingCore_AutoInit::vtkRenderingCore_AutoInit(void)" (??0vtkRenderingCore_AutoInit@@QEAA at XZ) [C:\Development\ParaView\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\_build\Examples\All\Plugins\Autostart\Autostart.vcxproj]          C:\Development\ParaView\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\_build\pqMyApplicationStarterImplementation.obj      ParaViewExamples

Error      14390    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl vtkRenderingFreeType_AutoInit_Construct(void)" (?vtkRenderingFreeType_AutoInit_Construct@@YAXXZ) [C:\Development\ParaView\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\_build\Examples\All\Plugins\Autostart\Autostart.vcxproj]          C:\Development\ParaView\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\ParaView-v4.4.0-source\_build\moc_pqMyApplicationStarterImplementation.obj          ParaViewExamples

All the compile errors are related to vtkRenderingFreeType. These errors are producing when generating debug and release builds. I have also tried compiling on different computers with different versions of visual studio and I always get the same results. Whenever, I disable the 'BUILD_EXAMPLES' in cmake it builds successfully.

It's very clear that the vtkRenderingFreeType library is not being linked in the 'ParaViewExamples' project in the ParaView.sln. Normally I would just include the library in linker for that project, but looking at the properties of the 'ParaViewExamples' project there is no 'Linker' tab in the property page. Obviously, the project did not get properly generated via cmake.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Michael Hillier