[Paraview-developers] Looking to add stereo support to the pvOSPRay plugin (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hennessey, Joseph G CTR USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) joseph.g.hennessey2.ctr at mail.mil
Thu Oct 15 13:55:26 EDT 2015

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Hello,

I am trying to add stereo support to the pvOSPRay plugin which renders using
the OSPRay library.

pvOSPRay does its own rendering of the image into a buffer using OSPRay,
pvOSpray then calls an instance of vtkOpenGLRenderWindow with the call

virtual int SetRGBACharPixelData (int x, int y, int x2, int y2, unsigned
char *data, int front, int blend=0)

to set its data inside the

vtkOSPRayRenderer::LayerRender()

method.

The SetRGBACharPixelData allows one to specify the front or back buffer, but
for stereo, using
the "Crystal Eyes" stereo-type, does allow one to specify whether data is
sent to the left or
right back buffer or the left or right front buffer which would be needed to
support stereo,
where an external render is creating images for both the left and right
eyes.

What I would like to do is be able to render the left and right eye images
in the pvOSPRay plugin
using OSPRay, set the corresponding buffers inside the vtkOpenGLRenderWindow
and then
have the OpenGL implementation deal with alternating the images every 1/60
seconds or so.
While every time the scene is updated pvOSPRay would generate new left and
right images
for the OpenGL implementation to alternate between.

Would I have to modify VTK and ParaView to support this, adding new methods
to specify the left or
right buffers, or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Joe Hennessey

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED