[Paraview-developers] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Issues building paraview with MPI : unresolved externals

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Nov 5 10:58:40 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Su, Simon M CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <
simon.m.su.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> I was told, on windows, the dependency library needs to be compiled with
> the same compiler (like VS2013 express) that is used to compile ParaView.
> Is that not the case anymore? Or Jayesh Krishna's MPICH binray is compiled
> with VS2010 Pro?

It is still true that it is a bad idea to mix VS versions because, assuming
it will link at all, it can lead to subtle runtime bugs. Even if it is a
bad idea, but I have not "yet" run into those and was able to get a usable
Cave installation from it.

In practice, the alternatives I tried had other issues that made them
unusable in my specific use case.
MSMPI - required ActiveDirectory permissions from lab wide admin department
IntelMPI - the smpd service can not swan visible windows
OpenMPI - I had to hack to compile it and ran into later link time problems

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive