[Paraview-developers] Building Examples -

Chiranjib Sur sur.chiranjib at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 07:15:26 EST 2014

Hi All,
I am trying to build a full tree of paraview(v4.2.0) locally with
Examples with the intention of developing my own plugin. I started
afresh with downloading the paraview source and building from scratch.

I followed the following steps :

1. Extracted the source and create a build directory under the source.
Then I run cmake to build the Makefile with the following option :

cmake -DCMAKE_SKIP_BUILD_RPATH:BOOL=OFF
-DCMAKE_BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH:BOOL=OFF
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH:STRING=""
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH:BOOL=OFF -DBUILD_EXAMPLE:BOOL=ON
-DBUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=ON -DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF
-DPARAVIEW_QT_VERSION:STRING=5 -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH:PATH=$QTDIR
-DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI:BOOL=ON -DQT_DISABLE_WEBKIT:BOOL=OFF
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON -DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON:BOOL=ON
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_FFMPEG:BOOL=OFF
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=$INSTALLDIR $SRC_DIR

where I declare INSTALLDIR and SRC_DIR myself.

2. Then I run "make" to build the tree and the process terminates
without any error.

3. Once I build the main paraview tree, I found that  "Examples"
directory is created with CMakeLists.txt file inside that. I run the
following from the build location :

cmake <path for Examples/ where CMakeLits.txt exists>

After completion of this level "Examples/All" is created under the
build location which contains the file "CMakeCache.txt and " and the
direcotry "CMakeFiles" but none of the plugins are getting generated.

Am I doing something wrong or there are some alternative methods to
build the examples for Paraview ?

I was looking for the other threads for an answer but could not found
one that solves my problem.

If anyone can give me some pointers about how to build Paraview +
Examples which can work as a basic platform for my plugin development,
I will be very thankful.

Thanks for your time and the help.

Chiranjib