[Paraview-developers] External data, build targets and testing

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Jun 3 12:02:50 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/2014 02:54 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>> What if we do the other way round i.e. turn it off by default and then
>> have dashboards turn this cache variable ON?
>
> That would return to asking developers to take an extra step before
> running tests like they used to need with data in a separate repo.
> It should just work by default.  For those that want to optimize
> particular workflows we can provide options.

I don't think many of us minded, and the delays to default builds when
many just want to get to that initial build can also be pretty painful
as a default.

> We could make the default a question in the SetupForDevelopment script
> and/or trigger off an environment variable.  That would allow you to
> do local configuration once per machine to avoid data-by-default in
> new build trees.

That sounds like it could be a reasonable compromise.

> Either way, we will need a script for ParaView much like VTK's
> "Utilities/Maintenance/SourceTarball.bash" script in order to
> provide pre-package data in source tarballs for releases.  This is
> important for packagers that need to build/test on non-networked
> machines.

And for developers that need to test with flaky wifi while traveling ;-)

Sounds like a reasonable path forward - question during setup doesn't
seem to onerous and we already have to run that script anyway.

Marcus