[Paraview-developers] External data, build targets and testing

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 2 15:23:29 EDT 2014

On 06/02/2014 02:54 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
> What if we do the other way round i.e. turn it off by default and then
> have dashboards turn this cache variable ON?

That would return to asking developers to take an extra step before
running tests like they used to need with data in a separate repo.
It should just work by default.  For those that want to optimize
particular workflows we can provide options.

We could make the default a question in the SetupForDevelopment script
and/or trigger off an environment variable.  That would allow you to
do local configuration once per machine to avoid data-by-default in
new build trees.

Either way, we will need a script for ParaView much like VTK's
"Utilities/Maintenance/SourceTarball.bash" script in order to
provide pre-package data in source tarballs for releases.  This is
important for packagers that need to build/test on non-networked
machines.

-Brad