[Paraview-developers] build errors

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Apr 21 12:56:53 EDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 08:21:22 +0000, Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:
> I haven’t touched paraview since before christmas and did a clean
> checkout of kitware/master (Fri) branch and a clean cmake build into
> an empty build dir. Nothing compiles due the definition for
>
>    extern VTK_DATA_ARRAY_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATE(VTK_DATA_ARRAY_TEMPLATE_TYPE);
>
> Error 1 error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++
> does not support default-int vtkCommonCore
> d:\code\paraview\vtk\common\core\vtkDataArrayTemplate.h 422

It looks like the compiler is thinking you're defining an external
function named 'VTK_DATA_ARRAY_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATE' with an argument of
type 'VTK_DATA_ARRAY_TEMPLATE_TYPE' (or it may be empty and have no
arguments).

My guess is that VTK_DATA_ARRAY_TEMPLATE_TYPE is being defined somewhere
it shouldn't be (outside the vtkDataArray*.cxx files). Is
VTK_NO_EXPLICIT_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATION being defined anywhere? Can you
tell what line 422 is expanding to after the preprocessor?

--Ben