[Paraview-developers] Color Scale Editor Design

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:03:48 EDT 2013

Hi Utkarsh,

two ways you can save space and improve the utility of the color scale
editor for pseudo color and volume rendering.

1) combine the opacity widget and the color scale widget. still use two
curves, but stack the opacity curve ontop of the color scale. I think it
would also be very useful to display a histogram of the active scalar
plotted using the LUT colors in the new widget. That would replace the
rectangular plot of the color scale that's currently in use.

2) add a "mirror scale" option. This would flip the colors in the active
LUT. It's quite useful at times to flip the color scale on certain LUT's
depending how the scalar values in a given dataset are distributed and
according to which features in the data you're trying to visualize.
Currently to do this we have to create a new LUT which adds to the
already long list of LUTs. Adding this feature will let us acheive the
desired result while reducing the number of LUT's in the list.

Also, with the current color scale widget it's pretty difficult to
interactively manipulate LUT's with many color points (eg when 256
colors are explicitly specified). The control points are too close
together to select and they way it's implemented now you'd need to move
surrounding control points as well.

3) limit the number of control points used by the widget. The default
max number of control points used by the widget would be something
reasonable like 16 but the user could increase if desired via a qt spin
control. The active control points in the widget would be evenly spaced
across the scale and during interaction as the user moves the visible
control points the widget would handle linearly re-interpolating the
position of the hidden control points automatically.

here's what those features would like:

I'd also vote for fixing the bugs:

http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=14094
http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=14093
http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=14092
http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=14091

admittedly this is a lot of work! but since you asked I thought now
would be the time to bring it up.

Burlen