[Paraview-developers] AUTOLOAD option is deprecated in ParaView 3.98 RC2

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:26:45 EST 2012

Utkarsh,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit
<utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
> Cory,
>
>> I have at least one plugin packaged with our branded version of
>> ParaView where the AUTOLOAD mechanism is used. For that plugin, I
>> don't want to rely on the user checking the box in the GUI. So I think
>> the option is still useful.
>>

> Hmm, okay. I have been wondering what support could we provide to ensure
> that plugins for branded applications can be loaded automatically. Can you
> give some more details on who your application is setup, maybe we can come
> up with something cleaner.

I had been relying on the .plugins file that I was able to write with
a macro (or function) called write_plugins_file() that is no longer in
ParaView master. I think the .plugins file is now written by
pv_process_plugins. Including the .plugins file in my installer was
all I needed to get the autoload plugin to work.

> When you generate binaries for your users, do you
> package your plugin's shared libraries with the application as well (similar
> to what ParaView does for plugins in the ParaView source)?

Yes, it is a self-contained installer with the branded application and
all plugins. You can take a look at the CMakeLists.txt file with most
of the packaging stuff here if you are curious:

https://github.com/MADAI/MADAIWorkbench/blob/master/Application/CMakeLists.txt

It's a bit of a hack job, but it works for Mac and Windows. Look
around line 160 for the plugin-specific stuff. Note that this compiles
against ParaView 3.14.1 and won't configure yet with 3.98-RC2 (I'm
working on it).

Thanks for you time and interest,

Cory

--