[Paraview-developers] git process

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:30:43 EST 2012

Hi,

I made some changes to the Memory Inspector in ParaView so that it
reports the per process usage and would like to follow the git work flow
to submit them. I am confused about how I should handle the changes
inside VTK. I did read the wiki on this, but it's a little light on the
details given my level of git experience.

here is what I did that didn't work,

made a topic branch in ParaView, modified files, added files, commit
made a topic branch in VTK, modified files, added files, commit
switch to VTK master, pull , switch to my vtk topic, rebase master
switch to PV topic, add VTK, commit
switch to PV master, pull, switch to my pv topic, rebase master

the last step failed with the following message:

Auto-merging VTK
CONFLICT (submodule): Merge conflict in VTK
Failed to merge in the changes.

I think my mistake was to pull and rebase vtk master? Any advise on
cleaning it up? In my PV topic do I add VTK or is that already handled
by actions on my vtk topic branch?

Thanks
Burlen