[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Dashboard question

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Mar 2 10:37:05 EST 2012

I am totally with you Ken, and think this is part of the power of git
and feature branches. I want to see the rabbit holes you went down. I
do clean up some of my local commits to remove the "checkpointed
broken state before leaving for the day", and rebase a little in an
attempt to appear cleverer than I am before publishing a branch but I
refrain from simply squashing it into a huge commit with a "I just
came up with this in 10 minutes, simple implementation solving all of
our problems"...

In VTK (and ITK) we have topic branch testing on Gerrit, this allows
for a topic to be built on Windows, Mac and Linux before being merged
into anything. Rebasing a really old branch can help there as the
CDash at Home builds are incremental and an old base will case a full
rebuild. The Change-Ids can then link back to the code review and test
build submissions too.