[Paraview-developers] Retrieve VTK data from pqPipelineSource

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Jan 31 17:15:23 EST 2012

vtkSMProxy *myProxy = pqPipelineSource->getProxy();
vtkObjectBase *myObject = myProxy->GetClientSideObject();

Then you can safe down cast that to a vtkAlgorithm and then get that
algorithm's output dataset.

However be warned getting the object in this way is problematic
because of the nature of a proxy. There isn't always a 1:1 mapping
between proxies and vtk instances and it won't work at all in a client
server setting. You can't get a pointer to something that lives (in
many instances) on a remote (parallel) server. That is what the proxy
layer is for  - controlling things without necessarily having direct
access to them.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer