[Paraview-developers] [paraview-developers] Do I have to build ParaView Development from the source code if I want to add my new plug-in?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Jan 30 09:42:06 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Mingcheng Chen <linyufly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The latest release version of ParaView Development is 3.8. Compiling my
> plug-in with it always returns: error MSB6006: "cmd.exe" exited with code 1.
>
> However, I can successfully compile my plug-in with ParaView Development
> 3.12 which was built by myself from the source code. (I once asked about an
> MPI related problem when building ParaView from source code. I did not
> solve the problem, so I just disabled USE_MPI.)

If you need your plugins to work with the official ParaView binaries, first
try the development libs from
http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Plugin_Deployment_with_Development_Installs
(Thanks blueCAPE Lda for making the 3.12 versions!).

If those don't work for you then yes you need to build your own and you
must make sure your build environment matches the build environment we used
to make the binaries
See: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView_Binaries

> Now I had a more challenging task: install a parallel ParaView on a remote
> multi-core machine which has no GPU and which should be able to be added my
> new plug-ins to.
>
> The remote multi-core machine has Visual Studio 2010 and a 64-bit Windows
> operating system.
>
> As far as I know, for the absence of GPU, I need to install Mesa3D, right?
> For MPI, is MPICH2 enough? For Qt library, is any version for VS2010
> acceptable?

On windows you don't typically need Mesa, the Windows GL drivers should
handle it.

Either MPICH2 and OpenMPI should work. I've been using MPICH myself lately.

Check the Qt download site. If they don't have a VS2010 version you will
have to build it from source yourself.

Is there any cutoff for me?

> I am looking forward to helping hand badly...
>
> Thanks for finishing reading!
>
> Best regards,
> Mingcheng Chen
> January 25th, 2012