[Paraview-developers] [paraview-developers] A kind of building errors of paraview development version under Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7 64bits

Mingcheng Chen linyufly at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:58:25 EST 2012

Hi everybody,

These days I was puzzled by different kinds of errors when I tried to build
paraview from open source code.

My machine is AMD64 and my OS is Windows 7 64bits.

My IDE is Visual Studio 2010.

My CMake  is 2.8.

I choose to build a 32bit version.

A kind of errors is as follows.

"Error 31 error LNK1120: 12 unresolved externals
D:\LCSWorkSpace\ParaViewTest\ParaViewDev\bin\Release\Cosmo.dll Cosmo"

"Cosmo" is a project in ParaView.sln generated by CMake.
"D:\LCSWorkSpace\ParaViewTest\ParaViewDev" is my output directory of CMake
(where ParaView.sln is).

I do not know what the 12 unresolved externals are. Moreover, there is
another kind of errors such as follows.

"Error 29 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MPI_Recv referenced in
function "public: void __thiscall Message::receive(int,int)"
(?receive at Message@@QAEXHH at Z)
D:\LCSWorkSpace\ParaViewTest\ParaViewDev\VTK\Utilities\Cosmo\Message.obj
Cosmo"

Is it one of the 12 unresolved externals? What is the meaning of this error
and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks!

I am very interested in whether there are people who have successfully
built 32bit paraview using Visual Studio 2010 on 64bit machine.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Mingcheng Chen
January 5th, 2012