[Paraview-developers] [paraview-developers] Where can I get "mpirun" other than the folder of a released ParaView?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Feb 3 11:23:43 EST 2012

mpiexec is just the modern name for mpirun.

You are somewhat correct in that part of what it does is to connect to
some host.
It has to do that, because its purpose is to start N copies of the
process that together make up the N way parallel program.
You typically tell it what machines to connect to with the
-machinefile hostnamesfile.txt argument.
If you want the jobs to all run on the same machine, enter that
machine's name multiple times in that file. localhost is probably
sufficient.

I recommend you get up to speed first by running a hello_world mpi
program, that is easier and should cut down on the number of dead ends
you end up trying.
Once you get helloworld.exe running in parallel, there is little
difference between starting pvserver.exe and hello_world.exe.

c:\PATH\TO\mpiexec -n 2 -machinefile localhostntimefiles.txt
c:\PATH\TO\pvserver.exe

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer