[Paraview-developers] Writing a plugin : questions

Nikhil Shetty nikhil.shetty at kitware.com
Tue Apr 24 13:35:33 EDT 2012

Hi Jean,

The VRPlugin simply provides a framework to pass alternative event streams.
It currently takes VRPN and/or VRUI streams and converts it into an
internal event structure. There is a dispatcher which takes these event
streams and dispatches to various VRInteractor styles.

However the even stream does not replace the window interactor but instead
we define new interactor styles which work alongside the current style.

You could start writing the plugin from scratch by copying the VRPlugin
over and deleting unnecessary classes. Alternatively you could extend the
plugin cause it has most of the framework to forward (non native) events to
the system.

If you decide to do the latter then you will have to do the following

1. Add a connection client for OSC (VRPN and VRUI are just connection
clients).
2. Extend the internal event structure to include OSC data.
3. Write an Interactor style to handle OSC events.

All the best

Regards
Nikhil