[Paraview-developers] Any success on building ParaView-3.10.1/ParaView-3.12.0-RC on Mac OS OX 10.6.8 | Xcode 4.0 | QT 4.7.4?

nikos yiotis nikos.yiotis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 06:43:13 EDT 2011

I switched to Qt 4.7.4.

QT_INSTALL_PREFIX:/
QT_INSTALL_DATA:/usr/local/Qt4.7
QT_INSTALL_DOCS:/Developer/Documentation/Qt
QT_INSTALL_HEADERS:/usr/include
QT_INSTALL_LIBS:/Library/Frameworks
QT_INSTALL_BINS:/Developer/Tools/Qt
QT_INSTALL_PLUGINS:/Developer/Applications/Qt/plugins
QT_INSTALL_IMPORTS:/Developer/Applications/Qt/imports
QT_INSTALL_TRANSLATIONS:/Developer/Applications/Qt/translations
QT_INSTALL_CONFIGURATION:/Library/Preferences/Qt
QT_INSTALL_EXAMPLES:/Developer/Examples/Qt/
QT_INSTALL_DEMOS:/Developer/Examples/Qt/Demos
QMAKE_MKSPECS:/usr/local/Qt4.7/mkspecs
QMAKE_VERSION:2.01a
QT_VERSION:4.7.4

   - I can only build Paraview 3.10.1 and my plug-in with Xcode 4.0 (instead
   of makefiles i used before) only if i leave BUILT_SHARED_LIBS off, which is
   of no practical merit since the plugin is static (*.a) and cannot be loaded
   to Paraview. When i switch BUILT_SHARED_LIBS to on though, i get the exact
   same message i was getting before (failure while linking)

*Linking CXX shared library libZ.dylib*
*Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:*
*  "typeinfo for pqPVAnimationWidget", referenced from:*
*      pqZ::GetTimeSteps()       in pqZ.cpp.o*
*ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64*
*
*
I posted a more detailed description here
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/10305/

   - When I am trying to build the Paraview 3.12.0-RC2 version, i cannot
   even build the ParaView.xcodeproj. Cmake GUI 2.8-2 gives me:

Could NOT find
/Users/nikos/Documents/codin_SRC/test/paraview/Paraview_3.12.0/ParaView-3.12.0-RC2/CMake/.paraview.version
which is mandatory if Git is not found either.

CMake Error at CMake/ParaViewDetermineVersion.cmake:68 (message):
  Failed to determine source version correctly.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:70 (determine_version)

If i manually configure the CMakeLists.txt (which is a bad idea) the
procedure hangs to CMakeLists.txt:70 (determine_version) again.

   - When I am trying to build the git version on Xcode, leaving aside the
   vtk warnings like in tif_unix,c "cast to pointer from integer of different
   size,

it builds only a few dylibs and *not* ParaView.app. When i run it it hangs
to the tests below that i run successfully.

Available tests:

  0. TestArraySerialization

  1. TestArrayDenormalized

I wonder why it is so tricky to build Paraview and custom-made plugins on a
mac.
Also, i am trying to post these messages to the users list a few days now
with the
admin rejecting my posts. Any ideas? thanks

*N*