[Paraview-developers] slowness getting even slower

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Tue Apr 19 08:07:45 EDT 2011

Hi John,

The collaboration changes have increased the usage of STL inside the
ParaView codebase. Because of this you will see a slow down while debugging
under Windows as debugging the STL is very slow. I would recommend that you
launch ParaView outside of Visual Studio and than attach the debugger to the
running process.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Biddiscombe, John A. <biddisco at cscs.ch>wrote:

> I did a git update this morning to get the new processmodule changes (first
> time in a month or so).
>
> When running paraview inside the visual studio debugger, it takes over a
> minute to launch. Plugins add ten seconds or more each.
>
> Without the debugger attached, it loads in 3 seconds.
>
> I notice also that all plugins are actually loaded twice. I'm trying to
> debug that now because I get two of every dock window/panel etc.
>
> (I have previously recomiled using the various _HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING
> settings, but they make no difference.)
>
> I have no idea what's going on, but I welcome any suggestions.
>
> JB
>

> --
> John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
> http://www.cscs.ch/
> CSCS, Swiss National Supercomputing Centre  | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.07
> Via Cantonale, 6928 Manno, Switzerland      | Fax:  +41 (91) 610.82.82

Robert Maynard