[Paraview-developers] A small suggestion - flag arrays as Scalars/Vectors/Normals

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Sat Sep 18 08:44:10 EDT 2010

> One more thing - an array that is a vtkIdTypeArray in VTK when written to a vtp file shows up in Paraview as "Data Type = int". This is very confusing. I tried to vtkIntArray::SafeDownCast() the array since Paraview said it was an int, but the cast kept failing. I had to vtkIdTypeArray::SafeDownCast(). I don't know exactly what the deal is the vtkIdType, but should Paraview show that instead of int?

ParaView will show "idtype" if it really has a vtkIdTypeArray. This is a problem with some of the readers  (VTK XML, Xdmf...).

http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=6289
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=6240
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=10129

You can see the idtype Data Type show up if you run the Generate IDs filter.

-Eric