[Paraview-developers] A small suggestion - flag arrays as Scalars/Vectors/Normals

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 22:23:48 EDT 2010

> The association (point or cell) is already indicated by either a
> circle or box icon on the page.

Yikes, this is not very intuitive :) Maybe at least when you hover over
those icons "cell array" or "point array" could popup? Even a 'C' and 'P'
instead of a box and a circle would help? Also, a column in the
"Information" tab would be another nice place to see this information.

> Knowing that an array is a vector since it has three sets of min max pairs
> is not as
> intuitive as a small arrow shaped icon would be.

Definitely agree.

One more thing - an array that is a vtkIdTypeArray in VTK when written to a
vtp file shows up in Paraview as "Data Type = int". This is very confusing.
I tried to vtkIntArray::SafeDownCast() the array since Paraview said it was
an int, but the cast kept failing. I had to vtkIdTypeArray::SafeDownCast().
I don't know exactly what the deal is the vtkIdType, but should Paraview
show that instead of int?

I look forward to these changes! I think they'll really help new users.

David D.