[Paraview-developers] ANN: All ParaView commits through the topic stage

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Oct 14 15:58:00 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM, pat marion <pat.marion at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two questions...
>
> Can a paraview topic branch refer to commits of a vtk topic branch, as long
> as the paraview topic branch eventually references a vtk master commit?  I
> know it works, but will the hook will reject it?
>
> Yes, the hook will reject it as all submodule commits must refer to a
reachable VTK. I worked on this with Utkarsh yesterday, and would like to
discuss the issues we hit with Brad once he is back in the office.

> Let's say I merge a paraview topic branch and its HEAD sets the vtk
> submodule to commit xxxx, a commit in vtk master.  Then, after that, someone
> else merges their paraview topic branch and its HEAD sets the vtk submodule
> to commit yyyy, where yyyy is a commit in vtk master that is a parent
> (earlier in history) of xxxx.  Will the merge strategy ignore the yyyy
> reference, and keep the vtk submodule at commit xxxx?

Yes, we upgraded the Git on the stage so that it has much improved submodule
conflict resolution. So long as one submodule hash is a fast-forward of the
other, the most recent submodule hash of the two will be retained. This is
why we want to restrict the submodule hashes, so that automatic conflict
resolution like this will work.

Marcus