[Paraview-developers] Writing ParaView brands using ParaQ (Client Server Plugins)

Jorge Gerardo Peña Pastor jorge.pena.pastor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 04:09:59 EST 2010

Hi,

I want to write a custom version of the ParaView client. I want to
provide most of the functionality using the plugin system. I have
written a filter plugin and a toolbar plugin.I've read the
documentation in

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Writing_Custom_Applications

and

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Plugin_HowTo

among other pages. Still I have some questions.

- I want to offer a unique plugin that provides both the filter and
the interface (toolbars, menus, docks) to manipulate it in the context
of the new application. How can I combine those plugins into a single
one?

- Should I use the ParaView plugin system? or should I use the Qt's one?

- I also read this thread http://markmail.org/message/5f2yzi755ya4juxb
about client and server side plugins, which states that it is better
to create the same plugin to be loaded in both client and server. In
my case, I have two paraview builds, one compiled without OpenGl, Qt
and X support for the server, and the other one with support for them.
Which paraview path should I choose to compile my plugin? If I want to
combine both, my common sense tells me to use the one with graphical
support, but is this ok for the server side??

Finally, a bit off-topic, is there some way to search inside this
mailing list? I found very useful the markmail search engine with the
paraview user mailing list, but I can't figure out how to search in
this mailing list...

Thank you very much,