[Paraview-developers] Making python a requirement

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri May 7 02:33:54 EDT 2010

Pat

> Does anyone deploy paraview with python off?

I generally don't build python support myself. I differ from most here in that I use windows for development (I very much like visual studio and please tell me if there's anything that comes close on other platforms, I found eclipse to be unusable with large projects like paraview on linux - and even worse with python wrapping on - but am always hoping to be told otherwise). On windows, python is not something most people have pre-installed.

I don't really use the python bindings either. Will do more as we move towards batch oriented stuff, but I would think it strange if python became 'essential'. I wouldn't fight such a decision, but still...

JB