[Paraview-developers] Moving to hdf5-1.8.x

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Mar 18 12:14:57 EDT 2010

As some of you may know, I've been helping towards cmakeifying hdf5 1.8.x , and I have a stable version working inside paraview - and it has been ok for some time.

I'd like to check this into paraview/Utilities under hdf-1.8 and I'll make sure any compile issues are tidied up.

All the relevant filters which make use of HDF5 are compiling ok and as far as I know the tests are fine. Will rerun later a full suite as I did some cmake tweaking today.

I'm keen to have 1.8.x support in the next paraview release as I think it's important for plugins like H5Part which are out of date (and I wish to update at the same time), and other ones we are developing (Xdmf stuff etc).

Possibility 1)
Check in the new /hdf5-1.8 directory, leave the old /hdf5 (1.6) one where it is but switch all builds to use 1.8.x by default. Breakages will be reported quite quickly as any affected dashboards will start emailing me instantly and users will vent their spleens too.
2) Remove the old hdf5 completely when I check in the new (my preferred option)
3) Leave both, leave the default as 1.6, but allow user to switch to 1.8 if they want. Extra Cmake maintenance required. option 1 assumes code is left in place, but cmake uses new version.

NB. Install rules for hdf5 on its own are good, but I'm not so confident on a make install on paraview to see if it installs the sub items well. Might need a spot of help from a kitware boffin here.

All being well, I'd like to get this in within a few weeks please. I asked a few months ago about this and nobody objected much (Ken voiced concerns over compatibility). If you wish to comment - please do.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/