[Paraview-developers] Plans for changes to ServerManger (Paraview 4.0 or later)

Yumin Yuan yumin.yuan at kitware.com
Wed Jul 14 10:17:18 EDT 2010

Utkarsh,

Nice summary!

A quick suggestion, I think it will be very helpful to understand the
new design better if we have a diagram to show the class hierarchy and
a diagram to show the communications between these classes in
client-server mode. For example, the new class, vtkPMProxy, if I read
the design correctly, is on the server, then should its name have
"Proxy" at all? Also, if vtkPMProxy needs the
vtkSMProxyDefinitionManager to figure what vtkObject to create, does
this mean vtkSMProxyDefinitionManager will also be located on server?

Yumin

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit
<utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As some of you may be aware, we are working on bringing collaboration
> support to ParaView enabling multiple ParaView clients to collaborate
> with each other. To make it easier to keep ServerManager's among
> clients synchronized as well as to reduce the client-server
> communication in general, we are currently investigating restructuring
> the internals for ServerManager -- mainly how proxies create VTK
> objects an communicate with them. This wiki summarizes the proposed
> design.
>
> http://paraview.org/ParaView3/index.php/ServerManager_2.0
>
> This generally won't affect developers writing custom applications or
> plugins. However, we are planning on changing the
> views/representations to move more logic to VTK-level as a part of
> simplifying the client-side logic. So, expect some changes to how
> views and representations are currently managed in ParaView. (This
> document does not talk about those changes. We are currently playing
> with some prototypes and once we have some better idea, we'll have
> some things posted.)
>
> These changes are still in early development stage. So changes in
> ParaView proper are still a quarter or two away.
>
> As always, any feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> Utkarsh

Yumin Yuan
R&D Engineer
Kitware Inc.