[Paraview-developers] Requiring Qt 4.6 for ParaView 3.8

Stephane PLOIX stephane.ploix at edf.fr
Mon Feb 8 03:32:38 EST 2010

Hi,

I think that we have to be carefull : with the branding refactoring making
it easy to build applications on top of ParaView components, and the
PV_INSTALL_DEVELOPMENT options, ParaView should now be considered more
like an SDK than a stand-alone application.

As more and more applications are built on top of PV, changing the version
of Qt will impact all those applications, you should then have a clear
policy regarding those versions, and give a advanced warning of any
changed to come.

Some possible policy would be :
at each release of a new stable version of Qt, PV will support both the
new and the old versions for 1 year, and drop the previous version after
that
or
each stable version of ParaView will support both the lastest stable
version of Qt and the previous one

or whatever, but please make it a public policy so that we know what to
expect.

Best
Stephane

berk.geveci at kitware.com
Envoyé par : paraview-developers-bounces at paraview.org
07/02/2010 21:48

burlen.loring at gmail.com
cc
paraview-developers at paraview.org
Objet
Re: [Paraview-developers] Requiring Qt 4.6 for ParaView 3.8

I wouldn't object to supporting 4.5 and 4.6. I think setting up 1-2
dashboards to verify building with 4.5 would be enough. We don't run into
Qt specific bugs too often anyway. I defer to Utkarsh though.

Also, if there is an attractive feature on the latest version of Qt that
will make our lives much easier, we are likely to move to it and not
support the previous version. So, I don't want to have an official rule
about supporting more than 1 version.

-berk