[Paraview-developers] Moving to hdf5-1.8.x

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Apr 15 11:50:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com>wrote:

> Just thinking out loud, but we could make building HDF5 an
> "external_project" call instead. This will download/update, configure, build
> and install hdf5 and then in ParaView we can just FindPackage(HDF5) and give
> our internal build tree as a hint. We would leave the USE_SYSTEM_HDF5 logic
> in place and if it is OFF then external_project will be called.

Just a word of caution: you can't simply use ExternalProject_Add and then
use FindPackage within the same CMakeLists.txt file for a plain old ParaView
build. You'd have to do a "super build" approach where both HDF5 and
ParaView are built as ExternalProject_Add calls and then ParaView could use
FindPackage to find the (configured/built/installed by previous build steps)
HDF5.

You could do ExternalProject_Add to build HDF5 as long as everything that
FindPackage currently sets gets set in a predictive fashion (*before* HDF5
itself is downloaded, configured, built or installed...)

Just thinking out loud, too,
David C.