No subject

Wed Oct 7 22:37:18 EDT 2009

contemporary distros would it make any sense at all to perhaps maintain=20
backward compatibility for some small window of time? eg: if in early 2009=20
qt 4.5 is commonly used by the KDE distro's then for all of 2010 paraview=20
supports at a minimum qt4.5.

If it were just for developers I'd say no, but since anyone who wants to=20
take advantage of parallel pv has to compile. this type of thing has=20
potential to affect a bunch of users as well.

Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
Folks,

As we are approaching 3.8 branch, what does everyone think of making
Qt 4.6 the officially supported version? Quite a few of us have been
using Qt 4.6 for quite some time now and don't think there are any
issues.

=20

Ce message et toutes les pi=E8ces jointes (ci-apr=E8s le 'Message') sont =
=E9tablis =E0 l'intention exclusive des destinataires et les informations q=
ui y figurent sont strictement confidentielles. Toute utilisation de ce Mes=
sage non conforme =E0 sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication =
totale ou partielle, est interdite sauf autorisation expresse.

Si vous n'=EAtes pas le destinataire de ce Message, il vous est interdit de=
 le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d'en utiliser tout ou pa=
rtie. Si vous avez re=E7u ce Message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de v=
otre syst=E8me, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et de n'en garder aucune trace=
 sur quelque support que ce soit. Nous vous remercions =E9galement d'en ave=
rtir imm=E9diatement l'exp=E9diteur par retour du message.

Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie =E9lect=
ronique arrivent en temps utile, sont s=E9curis=E9es ou d=E9nu=E9es de tout=
e erreur ou virus.

This message and any attachments (the 'Message') are intended solely for th=
e addressees. The information contained in this Message is confidential. An=
y use of information contained in this Message not in accord with its purpo=
se, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited=
 except formal approval.

If you are not the addressee, you may not copy, forward, disclose or use an=
y part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it =
and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return=
 message.

E-mail communication cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or vir=
us-free.

--=_alternative 002E66DDC12576C4_=

: with the branding refactoring making it easy to build applications on
top of ParaView components, and the PV_INSTALL_DEVELOPMENT options, ParaView
should now be considered more like an SDK than a stand-alone application.</=
font>
ilt
on top of PV, changing the version of Qt will impact all those applications,
you should then have a clear policy regarding those versions, and give
a advanced warning of any changed to come.</font>
nt>
ion
of Qt, PV will support both the new and the old versions for 1 year, and
drop the previous version after that </font>
support both the lastest stable version of Qt and the previous one</font>
blic
policy so that we know what to expect.</font>
om</b>
ounces at paraview.org</font>
nt>
Qt 4.6 for ParaView 3.8</font></table>
ting
up 1-2 dashboards to verify building with 4.5 would be enough. We don't
run into Qt specific bugs too often anyway. I defer to Utkarsh though.<br>
Also, if there is an attractive feature on the latest version of Qt that
will make our lives much easier, we are likely to move to it and not support
the previous version. So, I don't want to have an official rule about suppo=
rting
more than 1 version.<br>
-berk<br>
f=3Dmailto:burlen.loring at gmail.com><font size=3D3 color=3Dblue><u>burlen.lo=
wrote:</font>
than Qt 4.6?<br>
I wonder if it would make sense to have a small range of supported versions
rather than a single one?<br>
It's currently the case that with qt anything less than 4.5 pv fails to
compile (even if you remove the version test in cmakelists) because pv
uses some qt classes that were only added to 4.5. In my opinion it would
be a burden to pv users to get too far ahead of the various KDE supported
distro's packages. eg. Kubuntu 9.10 reports qt version 4.5.2. KUbuntu 8.04.4
LTS reports qt version 4.3.4.<br>