[Openchemistry-developers] Newbie looking to contribute

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff.hutchison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:25:02 EST 2017

Sorry - I also forgot to say "welcome aboard!"

> The issue tracker given here <http://projects.openchemistry.org/projects/openchemistry>, as listed on the last line on this Wiki <http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Main_Page> page, shows the last updated issue from 2014. I wonder if that site is still in use?

Not that I can tell. All the OpenChemistry projects are at http://github.com/openchemistry <http://github.com/openchemistry>

e.g.
https://github.com/openchemistry/avogadrolibs/issues <https://github.com/openchemistry/avogadrolibs/issues>
https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadroapp/issues <https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadroapp/issues>

There's also a more general roadmap to Avogadro 2.0 here:
http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Avogadro_Roadmap <http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Avogadro_Roadmap>

I can think of a few valuable projects:
- Avo2 does not yet have translation infrastructure set up. There are some bits that need to go into avogadroapp (to load translations) and we need to port scripts from Avogadro v1 to extract .pot templates (e.g., https://github.com/cryos/avogadro/blob/master/scripts/extract-library-messages.sh <https://github.com/cryos/avogadro/blob/master/scripts/extract-library-messages.sh>)

- We need to start to port the "property tables" from Avogadro v1, e.g. iterate through atoms, bonds (easy) then angles and torsions (slightly trickier)

- We need to port the code that inserts molecular fragments fro Avogadro v1

- We need to port the code to build peptides from Avogadro v1

- Add some rendering options (e.g., atom labels would be huge)

- Port the "orbital table" from Avogadro v1

Let me (or us) know if there are particular projects that seem interesting and I can help further.

Thanks!
-Geoff